Energy Audit 101

Workplace Wellbeing
December 17, 2020
blog image

Presented by STASIS

Oftentimes when I talk to brands about how they promote a healthy or wealthy lifestyle, a lot of the conversation revolves around topical things you can do for your body.

While these are well and good, I think a lot of brands are missing a key component of how to live a healthy life. How do these things make you feel? What about everything else you do in a given day? If these small acts take up 10% of our day what about the other 90%? 

To beat this, and especially with the shortening days and the cold upon us, the goal is to control your flow of your energy. In the summertime our energy is often moved around a lot without us even thinking about it, normally for the better. From social activities with friends (pending pandemic) to doing activities outside, to generally having more things take up our metalscape, life seems to come easier. In the winter, this becomes more of a challenge. Options dissipate, outside activities need to come inside, social activities in person this winter will probably cease altogether. 

Think of your energy like money in the bank. If there’s a lot of energy in the bank or if your energy is being spent well, your general mood will be happy, you’ll feel lighter, things will come easy. Similar to paying a parking ticket or wasting money on something pointless, when you waste energy life comes hard, we get frustrated, our mood dips, the friction becomes palpable. 

Tips to control your energy

  • Take an audit of what’s taking up most of your energy on a regular basis. Literally write it down. Working out, work, cooking, tv, reading, air it all out. Write out all the things that make up a typical winter day for you. 

  • Next to each energy point, decide if that is good energy spent or bad energy spent. 

  • For good energy assign it a value of +1. For bad, -1. Don’t think about it too much. If it’s somewhere in the middle give it a -1. 

  • Now using the above, start by giving yourself 10 points total and add/subtract your daily activities based on your energy points and see where you net out. What’re you left with? Is the value negative or positive? 

  • Repeat the exercise every few weeks. If you’re scoring negatively, you now have tangible things you know you can cut out in order to keep your energy up.

Did you score negative? Don’t beat yourself up. We all do here and there. The goal is to be mindful of what’s taking up your energy so you can make adjustments. Keep your energy up.

About Chris: 

Chris is a publisher, media and athletic social commentator in addition to being the founder of STASIS. STASIS is a platform for brands and individuals to teach other lessons on health and wealth in their own words. Sometimes a little raunchy, oftentimes riddled with humor, STASIS’ goal is to redefine our conversation with our health in an entertaining way for everyone. 

Related Posts

We’re all about connection

Join our community on social @liberatestudio